More and more these days moms are choosing to stay at home with their children. Sometimes this puts a financial strain on the family. A great solution is to be your own boss and start up a home based business to bring in extra income. With a home business you choose what you do and when you work. Having something to call all your own will help keep you free from frumpy mom syndrome while also earning you a steady income.
Here you will find ideas for starting an at home business. This lens does NOT offer job “opportunities,” MLM, or pyramid schemes. This lens DOES provide you with many ideas for businesses that you can run from your home in your spare time. As women and mothers, we each have been blessed with our own interests and talents. Now is the perfect time to turn those interests and talents into a lucrative home based business.
Crafting Home Based Business Ideas
• Sewing – If you can sew, then the sky is the limit to all the options you have for building a home based business. You could sew hand bags, diaper bags, baby blankets, baby/toddler/children’s clothing, scarves and other accessories, pillows, quilts, and so much more. You can design and sew your merchandise and either market it locally or sell online on Etsy or eBay with other work from home moms.
• No Sew Clothing Items – If you can’t sew, you could still craft knotted tutus or knotted fleece blankets. Both are super fashionable gifts.
• Hair Bows – Hand made hair bows can sell from $5 to $12 a bow! All you need are some alligator clasps, ribbon, and a glue gun. You can easily make a steady income with hand made hair bows with very little time invested. Set up an Etsy shop and offer to make custom bows (tip: moms love to order bows made with their daughter’s school colors) or sell them locally.
• Gift Baskets – You may choose to take orders for all kinds of gift baskets or you may want to focus on a particular market like baby shower gift baskets. Either way, gift baskets can be a very lucrative home-based business. Throw in a delivery service to make even more.
• Jewelry – Fashion jewelry has been popular for centuries. You can buy sterling silver and stone jewelry supplies at any craft store. Again, sell your wares on Etsy, eBay, or locally.
Make Money Providing Lessons
If you have a skill of any sort at all, you can bet there is someone willing to pay to learn your craft. You could give lessons out of your home or charge a bit extra and take your lessons to your client. You could even charge a group rate if a client wanted to have a small party in which you give an instructional lesson.
• Cooking – You don’t have to be a gourmet chef to give cooking lessons. Many women don’t know how to cook at all and would be eager to learn simple cooking basics. If you have a talent for cooking turn it into a lucrative home business. You can give cooking lessons in your home, or take your lessons to your clients. They will appreciate the convenience and you won’t have to dirty up your kitchen. You could charge a package rate for teaching how to bake cupcakes at a slumber party. Other package ideas for cooking lessons are couples, mother-daughter, etc.
• Sewing – There was a time when all women knew how to sew. Now only a handful still practice this lost artform. If you know how to sew then you could start up a home business teaching lessons on sewing.
• Scrapbooking – Scrapbooking is a hugely popular hobby. The materials needed to scrapbook can be quite expensive, so many women who don’t feel especially crafty often feel overwhelmed with scrapbooking and don’t know where to start. If you’re a good scrapbooker, offer classes to get other ladies started. You could even buy a few scrapbooking supplies in bulk wholesale and offer a starter package at your beginner class. This is another lesson that translates well to slumber party or get together (like mom groups) packages.
• Music – Whether you have a talent for singing or know how to play an instrument, there is a demand for music lessons of all sorts. If you know how to sing or play, start advertising that you offer lessons today.
• Tutoring – Many parents are willing to pay $10 to $20 an hour for tutoring. If you are particularly good in English, Math, or Science, then start offering tutoring services.
• Crafts – If you are a crafty lady, then offer lessons in what ever craft you’re good at. I know moms who would love to know how to make hair bows (because ready made ones are so pricey), knotted tutus, homecoming mums, and so much more. I know how to strip and stain wood furniture and was surprised that a lot of people don’t know how and are interested in learning. I’ve also come across a lot of ladies who want to learn how to crochet or knit and don’t know where to start. If you’re crafty, start offering lessons.
Services You Can Provide as a Home-Based Business
If you have the time, interest, or drive to do just about anything some where there will be someone willing to pay you for your service. There are so many options for a service oriented business so you can work from home. These services listed below are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to home based service businesses.
• Laundry – Bachelors and busy moms would love to be able to pay someone to pick up their laundry, wash it, iron it, and bring it back.
• Visit the Elderly – I know a lot of grown children worry about their elderly parents getting lonely during the day. You can offer a service of visiting the elderly. You could offer to run errands (maybe pick up their dry cleaning, or do their grocery shopping, etc), play a game of cards, do odds and ends around the house.
• Catering – If you bake, start making birthday cakes and baby shower cakes. If you cook, start catering small dinner parties. Start off small and grow at your own pace.
• House Cleaning – This is a hugely popular business. Busy moms, bachelors, and the elderly all enjoy having someone else do the housework for them. Many house keepers in my area tell you to provide all of the cleaning supplies. They tell you they want to use your cleaning supplies so that your house is cleaned the way you want, but it also saves them money. All they bring to a client’s house is elbow grease.
• Monograming – Buy a sewing machine that does embroidery and you can offer monogramming and customizing items as a home based business.
• Pet Grooming – Learn how to groom dogs and you can offer a pet grooming service. You can go to the client’s house, have them bring the dog to you, or go pick up the little pooch yourself. To generate even more profits, you can also offer a dog walking service.
• Watch Kids After School – Many working parents struggle with what to do with their school age children in the hours between 3pm and 6pm. Offer a service of picking up 2-3 kids after school and keeping them until their parents get home from work.
• Baby Sitting – Not only do parents look for a baby sitter for date nights, but I know many stay at home moms who have multiple small children, making it hard to do little things like get in a workout or go grocery shopping. Offer a baby sitting service to cash in on this need. It won’t tie you down like a full blown at home daycare would. You could accept appointments that work around your family’s schedules.